Sunday, November 30, 2008

Seat Belts Save Lives

I've actually taught my children something. Last night Sean was in a car accident with his cousin Travis. Luckily for us Travis was driving his car, unlucky for them though. Lucky for us noone was hurt. Unlucky for John and Diane the car was totaled. Lucky for us Sean and Travis were both wearing their seatbelts. Unlucky for the people living around the area where the accident occured. Travis had lost control of the car on the slick, wet roads and hit a major utility pole. It knocked out power from I-435 and Antioch to 95th and Switzer. The thing I taught my children was to always wear their seatbelts. Remember, I grew up in a time when cars didn't always have seatbelts and it wasn't required by law to wear them. So I wasn't in the habit of buckling up. When the kids were old enough to not be in car seats we made a game of buckling up. We would race to see who could be first and then that person could shout "first, best, and all the rest." When I was talking to Sean last night after the accident, I said to him I was glad he was wearing his seatbelt. He said that the game we played had ingrained it into him. It's a good thing too, because he would have been flying out the windshield otherwise.

1 comment:

Sara said...

YIKKKESSS! I can't believe that! What a blessing that everyone was safe!