As you may or may not know, I joined The Mormon Chorale last September. (On a side note (pun could be intended)we are officially sanctioned to use that name.) It has been an absolutely wonderful experience for me. I know I don't add much to the choir (and before any of you say otherwise, that really wasn't a put down on myself) since I don't always hit the right notes, but I have gained so much. This last concert was just one more example of that. The theme for this concert is "On the Healing Wings of Gratitude". There were two particular songs that I struggled to get through during practice, but during the performance I did just fine. One line in particular is this "whatever my lot thou hast taught me to say, "It is well, it is well with my soul." Then to add to this the following day I had the opportunity to attend the temple in St. Louis. While sitting in the chapel, I had the chance to ponder on some things and opened the hymnal. The song that I first saw was #122 "Though Deepening Trials". I thought how appropriate that would be the song I turn to. Then I turned to the previous page and found this one"Lean on My Ample Arm" which is a hymn I never heard before. I read the first line "Lean on my ample arm, o thou depressed!" and thought someone is trying to tell me something.
As many of you know these last few years I have struggled with severe depression and this song spoke volumes. Here is the rest of the first verse. "And I will bid the storm cease in thy breast. Whate'er thy lot may be on life's complaining sea, If thou wilt come to me thou shalt have rest. Verse 2 goes like this, "Lift up thy tearful eyes, sad heart to me; I am the sacrifice offered for thee. In me thy pain shall cease, in me is thy release, in me thou shalt have peace eternally." Now if I could just somehow convince myself to do this what would be the result?
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I like "It is well with my soul" I have had it stuck in my head for a few days now.
Post a Comment