Saturday, August 30, 2008

Phobias

I know this is a bit in left field, but I will blame my brother-in-law John for this post. A little background first for the reasoning behind it. My sister-in-law Kathy has this thing with stairs. I don't know how many times she has injured herself tripping up or falling down stairs. Last week was just the latest event. She was helping her daughter carry this huge pool toy down the stairs of their neighborhood pool, when she tripped, fell, and banged her arm on the railing. All I can say is "ouch" The picture shows the result.
Anyway, John said that perhaps she was climacophobic. I'm thinking yeah right like that's a real word. Well it is. It means the fear of climbing stairs or the fear of falling down stairs. I thought it was an usual phobia so I googled "unusual phobias" and this is the result.

Amathophobia: fear of dust
Only your mum can save you.

Arachibutyrophobia: fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
Run your tongue across that palate, baby.

Automatonophobia: Fear of ventriloquists' dummies.
I saw you lips move.

Barophobia: fear of gravity
Going up?

Geliophobia: Fear of laughter.
Did you hear the one about...

Gnomophobia: Fear of garden gnomes.
I know they're watching me.

Kyphophobia: scared of stooping
Little old ladies fill you with great dread.

Metrophobia: fear or hatred of poetry
I wandered lonely as a... ouch!

Octophobia: fear of the figure 8
Look, you gave me a tenner, I owe you two quid back, whaddayamean keep the change?

Ophthalmophobia: fear of being stared at
You looking at me? Yeah? Well, I don't see anyone else in the room, so you must be looking at me, ponk.

Optophobia: fear of opening one's eyes
Ohmygod! Straight ahead! They're all naked! See, that cured you.

Panophobia: scared of everything
Arrggggghhhh, make it stop!!!!!!!!

Peladophobia: fear of bald people
You long to see the comb-over come into fashion.

Pentheraphobia: Fear of mothers-in-law.
No explanation needed.

Phasmophobia: fear of ghosts
I see dead people. No really. Come back!

Phobophobia: fear of fear
Phobia for the post-modernist in your life.

Plutophobia: fear of wealth
We can help you out, if your money is a problem.

Pogonophobia: fear of beards
Tug on my mutton chops, baby!

Russophobia: scared of Russians
Do you have the briefcase? Hey, where you going?

Satanophobia: fear of satan
Mwahahahahahaha!!!!!! Oh, sorry. Did we scare you?

3 comments:

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

Pogonophobia: fear of beards
Tug on my mutton chops, baby!

This one if for ME when Brad grew a beard. Funny Funny That bruise looks sooooooo painful.

Unknown said...

Gotta set the records straight! I tripped on the stairs (twice, once going up and once coming back down) carrying the pool floatie and twisted my ankle. The bruise came the next day when I fell down the stairs in our house and hit my arm on the handrail. Yes, I fell 3 times on the stairs in less than 24 hours. Yes, I admit, I'm a climaphobic.
Kathy

Christal said...

Great post! I think I learned something.