Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Blue Funk Strikes Again

Today has been one of those days when I have had to battle the "blue funk". Depression stinks. Sometimes it seems to just envelope me and I have to "white knuckle" it. It's hard to explain to someone that doesn't suffer from this illness why I can't just snap out of it. It takes great effort to try and convince myself that the "distorted thoughts" aren't true, especially when it appears that actions of others support those distorted thoughts. This week for the most part has been okay. Just today has been a struggle. I think maybe, just maybe the meds are finally starting to work. I can only hope.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Heidi! I found your blog on Stephanie's list. I am so sorry you're having a blue funk. I have those too about once a month. I start having all kinds of negative thoughts that are so hard to push out. The only thing that has helped me is prayer--and lots of it!--and priesthood blessings. It's pretty scary sometimes--my mother has severe depression sometimes and probably should have medication, but refuses to. She doesn't like how she feels when she's on it--not her true self. I'm so sorry you have to go through that--I'll be praying for you. I'm sending you an invite to my blog.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I can relate. I often wonder why there is such a "condition" as depression. I haven't quite figured it out. I'm glad that your meds seem to be helping a bit. Hang in there, you are not alone!

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

HAng in there Heidi, Days can be filled with joy again as you recover and allow the medicine to bring those serotonin levels up!

Linda is looking PREGO and oh so cute! We need to plan her baby shower. Can you give me dates in September when she is available? Being a grandmother is something to look forward to!!!!!!!! YEAH!