Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Will Go, I Will Do

Well it's official. I have a new calling at church. I am feeling very unsure of myself. I had to ask the bishop before Sacrament Meeting, are you really sure about this? He replied yes, really sure.
I have always felt that women who are asked to serve in one of the auxiliary presidencies within the church, are among the most stalwart of people. To me they exemplify true disciples of the Savior. Not that these women are perfect because none of us are, but to me they are wonderful examples of how to live the gospel standards. That being said, I have struggled with my self-esteem most of my life. I never felt that I would ever be a good as one of them. I'm in a bit of a quandary now though. I was sustained today to serve as secretary in the Relief Society presidency in my ward. So my dilemma is that I am now supposed to be one of those women I hold in such high esteem. How do I do that when I just don't see myself that way. However the Lord sees that I am capable. It reminds of the scripture 1 Sam 16:7 ...for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. I pray for the strength to accomplish that which the Lord has asked me to do. I am looking forward to working with the wonderful women in Relief Society.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you already ARE one of those women! I've looked up to you my entire life!! I'll miss you terribly when I leave, but I want you to know that I DO see you as one of 'those women', and your description of them describes YOU perfectly! You are a wonderful mother with amazing children, a very caring and compassionate friend, and a worthy, spiritual member of the Church. I will continue to look up to you for the rest of my life! :o) I love you!

Becky said...

I felt the EXACT same way when I was called into the RS presidency. I was afraid that the calling would shrink to fit me but instead, the Lord helped me stretch to fit the calling! You will be GREAT!!!

Jenny said...

I would like to second what Alaina said! You really are that wonderful woman. You will do wonderful! I was so excited to raise my hand to sustain you and the other women called. You will do so great!

HLFackrell said...

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. It means a great deal.

Laurie said...

First of all, Grandma Heidi? I can't even believe that! :) How time flies by. Congratulations both of you!

I too have always seen you as an incredible person. This calling will suit you perfect! Lucky ward!

Andrea said...

How great. I too just got called to the RS. I am the first councelor. WOW!! You will do wonderful. You are such a great example.

Christal said...

Heidi! I missed your sustaining somehow! Shame on me! The weekly RS email coming from you makes sense now though! You are just what we need in RS! The great thing I always remember of "larger" presidency callings is that somehow, having that mantle allows you to be picked up and carried over your trials. Someday, you'll look back and wonder how in the world you did all that you are/were called to do! It's truly a blessing and a miracle. You are in line for great blessings! You are great!