Recently I had the chance to attend a family reunion for the Lunnen side of my family. I hadn't seen a lot of my cousins, aunts, and uncles for about 30 years. Some I had never even met. Unfortunately my siblings and I have not been very close to any them with the exception of one or two. I don't know why that is. It may be due to the fact that we lived in the Midwest and the rest of them lived in Utah or Arizona mostly and the distance made it more difficult. Or it may be due to other reasons, but be that as it may I was trying to play catch up. We reminisced about the times we had together. I don't have a lot of memories to share with my extended family and a few of the ones I do have, I wish I could forget. However, it was nice to hear them talking about my grandparents. I didn't know my grandmother well, because she died when I was only 8 years old. What I do remember of her is that she was a kind, loving person. She always sent a birthday card with a dollar bill in it. She also sent a book for either Christmas or my birthday (can't remember which)that I still have. My grandfather I knew a little better, but always felt that he didn't approve of me or my brothers. The few times we visited him after grandma died I always felt that I had done something wrong, but didn't know what it was. It was nice to hear at the reunion that the cousins have fond memories of him and what a wonderful person he was.
It was so fun getting to know my cousins all over again. 3 days just didn't seem to be long enough. Thanks to my cousin Diane I will never think of plaster of Paris in the same way ever again.

2 comments:
this makes me so excited for my family reunion coming up in Arizona :-)
I love vacations! I am so glad that you were able to go and spend time with family! You are amazing! And you have the cutest little granddaughter ever! :)
Post a Comment