Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Blue Monster


You would think that with a wedding, Laura coming home, and a new grandbaby on the way that I would not be battling the blue funk. Unfortunately that is not the case. It's easier to beat the blue monster when things go well and everything seems to fall into place. It's a lot more difficult when it doesn't. Those are the times when it is so much easier to let the "stinking thinking" (to use a phrase from a dear sweet friend) take over. I've listened to that way of thinking for so long and seemingly had it reinforced by many different people and things that I find it hard to believe the good that happens. I find it hard to believe in the good in me. Once in awhile though there is a glimmer that peeks through and I try to grasp it and hold on for as long as I can. Once in awhile I can even get a few days that are hopeful.

4 comments:

Christal said...

I know! Our "self talk" can be so brutal....BUT! In spite of it all, you are beautiful, choice Daughter of a Heavenly King who joyfully volunteered for this gig. It's hard to remember THAT in this wicked, physical existence! With faith, we SHALL overcome!!! hooray!

Jenny said...

Your thoughts reminded me of one of my favorite scriptures in D&C 6:22-23. Like you talked about holding onto the glimmer, I try to record the happy moments so when moments are not so happy I have something to think about remember. Then I feel His love all over again!

22 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.
23 Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?

Andrea said...

I hope you remember the same reminder that I asked our father in Heaven for. That I mattered, and had purpose. You answered that prayer for me. You listened and followed through. You are a beautiful daughter with so much to give, and have blessed my life more then you will ever know.

Laurie said...

I loved President Monson's Sunday morning talk. A good message for a stormy day. :)