Monday, February 7, 2011

Surprise Visitor

This weekend brought a surprise visitor to our ward. Elder Donald L. Hallstrom from the Presidency of the Seventy presided in Fast and Testimony meeting. I wasn't able to take notes since I didn't have any paper and didn't think of using my phone until it's too late. Luckily Bishop Staggs took great notes and sent them to the ward members, so I'm going to copy them here.
"Two things from Elder Hallstrom's remarks that stood out to me were reverence and the importance of temple ordinances. He taught us that the principle of reverence is more than just "sitting still and being quiet," but it really is more the principle of having profound love and respect for Deity. He said that we should exercise that type of reverence in our public, family, and private worship. Choices, he added, oftentimes aren't as much an issue of choosing between good and bad, but rather choosing between good and better.

He challenged us to qualify for a temple recommend now in preparation for the Kansas City Temple. Ordinances in the Lord's church connect us with Heaven. Some, he taught, are to comfort us and others are essential to attaining eternal life. I hope that each member of the ward will prepare themselves now for the blessings that come from qualifying for and holding a current temple recommend"

In his talk Elder Hallstrom mentioned living in Hawaii in 1978 when the temple was remodeled and then rededicated. It brought back some fond memories for me. I too was in Hawaii at that time and was able to attend a session of the dedication. I was able to tour the temple before the dedication during the open house also. One of the best part about that trip was a special fireside in which President Kimball spoke to the youth.


Another thing that made this weekend a little special, is that I had the opportunity to serve dinner to Elder Hallstrom and the different Stake Presidents and their wives. That's just one of the blessings that I receive because of my calling in the church. I like to think of it as a tender mercy from the Lord.

No comments: