Friday, July 10, 2009

Awkward Moment

What do you do when you see someone you know well, but haven't seen for a few years and they get you confused with someone else? Do you tactfully tell them who you really are or do you let them continue in their delusion? I was shopping at Wal-mart today with Linda and Celeste looking at shoes when I hear a familiar voice across the aisle. Usually I would pretend not to hear because I am a very shy person, but since Celeste was with me I wanted to show her off. I go over and say and start talking and I soon realize this person with whom I worked at West Antioch was confusing me with someone else. She kept saying how she had breakfast with Linda the day Celeste was born and all the while I'm thinking how do you know Linda. Then she started talking about someone named Gretchen that I didn't even know. She asked also if they, meaning Celeste's parents got married and at that point I did say they had married before Linda got pregnant with Celeste. I didn't know how to tactfully correct her because I thought she recognized me when we started talking. Have any of you had something similar happen?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In my new ward everyone knows my name because we're the newbies and I watch their kids in nursery, but every time someone says hi to me I have to pretend like I know who they are, which kid is theirs, and conversations we've had before. They don't realize how confusing it can get when you're the one meeting 100 new people all at once!

Christal said...

hee hee...happened once to me...on the phone with Joe's TWIN! He called to speak with his girlfriend, and he thought I was her. Funny thing about it:I thought he was Joe! You can be sure THAT only happened ONCE! :)