Now that camp is finally over I can blog about it. It was a very interesting week. We started with set up on Saturday. Nothing unusual about it. It was fun having Linda and Celeste helping with that. Celeste wasn't too keen about having to stay in her stroller for most of the time, but once we got the work done she got to play. She was much happier after that.
Sunday went pretty well as setting up den homes go. Of course there were the straggler packs that waited until then to turn in paper work. It amazes me every year how many people don't listen to the simple directions given at the training meetings. If they would just do what they are asked to do it would make things go so much easier. I wonder at myself though with how often I don't follow directions, whether I do so out of misunderstanding or by choice, and then I am a bit more patient with those that are trying do things the right way.
Monday, the first official day of camp was very interesting. The skies seemed to open and dump a deluge on us for a little more than an hour. If it were just rain it wouldn't have been so bad, but we also had lightening and that was cause for concern. The directors were about ready to cancel camp for the day when the storm cleared and we were able to continue with the activities. Everyone did a great job of adapting and persevering through adversity.
Tuesday was about the most normal day we had all week. The weather was pleasant and no weird things happened.
Wednesday was definitely another challenge. I arrived late because of another commitment. As I was turning onto the street leading to camp I see an ambulance coming toward me. I'm thinking that is not a good sign because camp is basically out in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, we pass each other and I turn on the road to camp. The ambulance, stops, backs up and starts following me. No flashing lights, but I know where it's heading and knew it wasn't going to be good.
Once I arrived at camp, I discovered that one of the adult walking leaders had collapsed from heat as well as a preexisting heart condition. At least he collapsed in front of the nurse's station. Made it a lot easier for the ambulance to get to him. That was just the start of the nurse getting slammed with campers not doing well in the heat. But again everyone adapted and perservered, a tribute to scouting spirit.
Thursday was hot again,
but we had a breeze and it was almost pleasant. The boys had a great time with the noontime surprise.
Friday went as usual with people wanting to leave early without following procedures. It makes my job more difficult. I keep my smile painted on and roll with it. It doesn't help either that I'm trying to get things ready for closing and keep getting interupted to get someone checked out to leave camp early. It was just a good thing Linda was helping me this year as my assistant. I was able to delegate some of the responsibility of getting ready for closing ceremonies so I could deal with the parents leaving early.
All in all though I think it was a successful camp. The boys had great fun and were able to pass off a lot of their requirements for cubs scouts.

3 comments:
Good Job, Heidi!!!! Thank you for ALL that hard work! I just can't believe that Jacob is already too old for it! He was sad about that!
Makes me wish I were there. And those pics of Celeste are the best
All the scout leader were amazing. I had NO IDEA how much work and preparation goes into scout camp. We love you for it and most especially the boys love it!!!
Post a Comment