Friday, July 25, 2008

A New Citizen

Today was very interesting. Joe and I went to Topeka to witness one of his employees, Damary, become a US citizen. It was really cool! They had 81 countries represented by 641 new citizens in the group waiting to become citizens. It was reported that was the largest group they have had in the state of Kansas to be sworn in at one time. The largest group of people was from Mexico (no surprise there) and the second largest was from India. I don't remember which country came after that in rank. Most just had 1 or 2 people. I was glad we went to see the ceremony. Governor Sebelius was there as well and gave a speech in which she shared a little bit of her family history which in my opinion was the most interesting part of the speech. I could sure tell it was an election year from the rest of the speech. Then the judge presiding over the ceremony also gave a short account of her family history. All in all it was a great experience. I'm glad Damary invited us to attend. I learned quite a bit about what we as citizens are expected to do for our country. We are so blessed to live here and I am grateful for the men and women that have sacrificed and that continue to sacrifice so much so we all can enjoy the freedoms we do.

No comments: