Sunday, January 16, 2011

Do You Really Want to Know?

I have been pondering on a custom that we people, and I'm assuming all over the world, do. It's a greeting that we say to one another, but I wonder if we ask this question because we really want to know or is is because we are just being polite in asking. That question being "How are you?" It's almost automatic to say this when passing someone in the hallway at school or even just talking on the phone. Do you just give the standard "I'm fine" even when you aren't or do you try to let others you're struggling? Just curious about what others think of this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think when a lot of people ask that question it's just out of habit and they want to be polite. But some people I think are like me in that they don't necessarily want to start a conversation out of how you're doing, but they do care to know the truth. I want to hear good, or fine, or normal, or crappy, even if I'm in a hurry so I can know if that person needs anything from me. I know that I try to answer the question kind of truthfully. I'll say I'm good (or 'well' for the grammatically correct) only if I'm actually good that day. Otherwise I'll say 'fine' or 'you know'. That way I feel like I have told the truth and left it up to the other person whether or not they want to hear more.