Sunday, September 19, 2010

Saying Good-bye.


I will be the first to admit that I am not a huge animal lover. So when my husband suggested 11 years ago that we get a dog for Daryn, I wasn't real thrilled with the idea. I didn't say yes, nor did I say no. Joe took that to mean it would be fine with me. One day he takes the kids out for a ride for who knows what. He calls me on the way home and says he got a dog, just like that. Needless to say I was not happy with that. You know who gets stuck with taking care of the animal right? The mom. I told him right then and there that I would not be taking care of the dog and if Daryn didn't do it he would have to.
I remember when they got home with the dog, I took one look at him and thought, "he's adorable" Dreamy became a part of our family that day. That's the name the pound said he had and it stuck. I wanted to call him Domino because he had white paws with black spots that reminded me of a domino.
I am happy to say that most of the time Daryn became very responsible taking care of Dreamy and on the occasion when he forgot, Joe took charge.
He has been a good dog. He never licked anyone in the face which just bugs me to no end. Friday unfortunately we had to put him down. He was sick and we could not afford to pay for the procedures necessary. I didn't think it would bother me being the non-animal lover that I am, but it has made me sad. I guess I'm more of an animal lover than I thought.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dreamy was a good dog. He can play with Cosmo again now.

Maria Miller said...

I'm not really a dog lover either but I had to take Misty (our first collie) to be put down because the kids were too little and Chris just didn't have the courage to do it. I ended up balling my eyes out!!! It's funny how animals become so much a part of the family.